Sunday, December 2, 2007

Movie Review: Awake by DN

Awake (2007)
Starring: Hayden Christensen, Jessica Alba, Lena Olin, & Terrence Howard
Directed by: Joby Harold
Genre: Drama/Thriller
MPAA Rating: R for language, an intense disturbing situation, and brief drug use.
Release Date: November 30, 2007

In "Awake," a psychological thriller that tells the story of a man (Christensen) undergoing heart surgery while experiencing a phenomenon called "anesthetic awareness," which leaves him awake but paralyzed throughout the operation. As various obstacles present themselves, his wife (Alba) must make life-altering decisions while wrestling with her own personal drama.

Going in to this film, I was skeptical of the acting prowess of both Alba and Christensen, knowing that they've both left me feeling less than satisfied in the past. What I found was right on, in that their acting is it's usual cut and dry, monotone, walk through. It feels that both Christensen and Alba are just going through the processes while filming this movie. On the offset, you have screen and stage veteran Lena Olin, who shines as the mother of Christensen's character, and Terrence Howard, who once again proves he is a dark horse of acting ability.

The story revolves around how Clayton Beresford (Christensen), remains awake while under anesthesia, hearing the plotting and planning of his corrupt and crooked surgeons, who are planning on killing him during open heart surgery. Before watching the film, I had a strong thought in my head for what the purpose of the murder would be, and at the time I was not only skeptical of it, I was disappointed it. Disappointed with my own idea... fortunately, I was shocked to find the real reason behind the homicide. This would be only the first of a couple shocking twists and turns, which would find myself and most of the other the theater-goers on the edge of our seats.

Once you get the past horrid acting of the two main characters, you'll find yourself immersed in a story of intrigue and suspicion, which in the end gives great pay off, and left me feeling quite satisfied. I give Awake 3.5 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

Mitch Emerson said...

I was wondering how Alba and Christensen were gonna be in this. I'm glad they didn't ruin it. I'll look forward to the DVD.

Anonymous said...

I was kind of looking forward to this one, but I think I'll be waiting for the DVD too. Great review!