Saturday, August 25, 2007

DVD Review: The Chumscrubber by JR

Director: Arie Posin
Starring: Glenn Close, Ralph Fiennes, Allison Janney, Camilla Belle, Rita Wilson, Carrie-Anne Moss, Lauren Holly, Rory Culkin, Jamie Bell, Justin Chatwin

Release Date: January 25, 2005
MPAA rating: R for language, violent content, drug material and some sexuality

"I live in a city, but in an apartment high above the cloud left by the blast. I'm one of the lucky ones. One morning, I awoke to find my head was no longer attached to my body. I'm not dead, but who could call this a life? So I do what I can, in this city of freaks and subhuman creatures. I became…the Chumscrubber."

This is one of those movies that I wanted to see when it came out, but it just kept getting passed by. It came out around the same time as "Thumbsucker" and I will always associate the two, even though I still have not seen "Thumbsucker". I had no idea what I was getting into with "The Chumscrubber". No idea. I had heard that the word means something along the lines of a person who cleans up fish parts after fishermen clean them, but this has nothing to do with that. According to urbandictionary.com, the word means:
1. For parents: The Chumscrubber is everything we ignore - all those subjects and conversations that parents and teens should be having but aren't-- the physical embodiment of everything we'd rather not deal with, everything that causes pain, or discomfort.
2. To teenagers: The Chumscrubber is a hero, a survivor, a fellow teenager who arrives into the real world to protect and keep his or her friends clean.

Apparantly the definition was created following the release and popularity of the movie.

"The Chumscrubber" is a very dark comedy about life in suburbia. It's so dark, I wouldn't likely call it a comedy, but that's what the movie claims to be. A bunch of high school kids who are bored out of their minds despite having just about every material possession they could possibly want, are doped up on every drug possible to make themselves happy. Their parents don't pay any attention to anything these kids do, unless it's in front of the other parents; for show. The parents are busy drinking away their problems and attending various social gatherings to keep up with what their kids are doing. And their kids are doing some really terrible things.

Sound familiar? The tone and look of this movie shares many similarities with "American Beauty", although where I felt "American Beauty"'s characters learned something from the situations they were in, I didn't feel like anyone in "The Chumscrubber" learned anything. I suppose in that way it would be more like reality: kids and parents don't always learn a lesson after something bad happens. But in this case, I really would have liked to see some sort of revolution. It's so sad when you see the destruction of youth. It's a very real movie. The plot also reminds me a lot of "Alpha Dog". I know "Alpha Dog" came out after this movie and was based on a true story, but there are definitely similarities.

The subject matter in "The Chumbscrubber" is rough. We've got teen suicide, kidnapping, violence, drug use that Bret Easton Ellis would be ashamed of, and then there are things like loneliness and depression. This is a very rough movie to watch. That being said, the movie is very funny too. I caught myself several times laughing out loud at some of the lines in this movie. Several parts in this movie rang true to me from my high school years. And made me, once again, never ever ever want to go back.

The cast cannot go unmentioned. I listed just about everyone in the cast above because while I was watching this, I kept getting excited seeing all these people on screen together. The last movie I saw Ralph Fiennes in was "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" as Voldemort. This is quite a different role. He plays the romantic mayor of the city engaged to be married to Rita Wilson's character. She's fantastic as well, playing an egotistical interior designer. Glenn Close knocks my socks off every time and doesn't disappoint here either. She plays the mother of the teen suicide victim and her repeated line, "I just thought you should know that, in no way whatsoever, do I blame you for Tony's death," delivered with such phony happiness, made me smile and feel sad for her all at the same time. She's none short of amazing. Allison Janney. Allison Janney is once again perfect doing what she usually does: playing a housewife. But she's got such passion. If only she could be in every movie. Everyone in the cast is spectacular. Everyone.

I guess I really don't have any complaints about this movie. It's not one just to throw on at a moment's notice, you have to be in the mood for this one. You almost have to prepare yourself for it. You're going to get emotionally involved in "The Chumscrubber". You're going to feel for these characters. The subject matter is going to mean something to you. If you're OK with all of that, put it in and give it a go.

4 out of 5 stars.
Jenny Rushing
beccajane67@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Tony said...

I really liked this one. Great review Jenny!